Jump to main content

Tainan Airport

::: 中文 English 日本語
HomeSitemapMobileFor Children

::: Home > Services > Tainan City Tour Guide Font Size:Small Font Medium Font Large Font
*
Tainan City Tour Guide
1. Fort Zeelandia and Fort Provintia
2. City Walls and City Gates
3. Confucian Temple and Wen-Chang Pavilion
4. Temples of Heavenly Holy Mother
5. Martial Temples
6. City God Temples
7. Pantheon of Universal Deities
8. Temples of Supreme Emperor of the Dark Heavens
9. Medical God Temples
10. Buddhist Monasteries
11. Vegetarian Halls
12. Artillery Fortifications
   
* Fort Zeelandia and Fort Provintia
 
One of the earliest forts constructed by the Dutch is Fort Zeelandia, which leaves parts of the wall and a semicircular base now. It took ten years to build the front from 1624 to 1634. The fort named as Fort Zeelandia after one provine of Holland. Fort Zeelandia was built on an offshore social at Yi-Kun-Shen with bricks from java for construction. The mortar of the building is a mixture of sugar, sand, ground seashells and glutinous. The fort had great look with three stories high. During the Dutch's occupation of Taiwan, Fort Zeelandia was the residence of the governor and the administration center.
Yi-kun-Shen was changed to the name of An-Ping when Koxinga (Cheng Chen-kung) expelled the Dutch in 1661 Koxinga made the fort his headquarters and named it Wnag-Chend.
The administrative center moved to Tainan in 1683 under the jurisdiction of the Ching government. Fort Zeelandia became the Bureau of military Supply. In 1869, the arsenal of the fort explode due to the attack by the British part of the walls was destroyed. The remnants of Fort Zeelandia were taken as supply to build Erh-Kun-Shen Fort in 1874. A three-larger platform for the residence of the director of the Custom was built during the occupation of Japanese. In 1930, for the purpose of exhibition, the residence was rebuild again. It is well known as the Old Fort of An-Ping with various historical artifacts and remnants today.
Original wall of red bricks imported from Batavia and laid by the soldiers of the Dutch East India Company.
Fort Zeelandia was a fortress built over ten years from 1624 to 1634 by the Dutch East India Company (VOC), in the town of Anping (Tainan).
Fort Zeelandia included an <inner fort> and an <outer fort>. The inner fort was a square and 3-layer construction.
The structure of the Fort Zeelandia.
BuiIt in 1653, Fort Provintia, popuIarIy known as the Red-Haired tower, is ]ocated on the shore across the Tai-Chiang In]and sea from Fort ZeeIandia. It is another important fort built by the Dutch during their occupation in Taiwan. The fort was built in response to an uprising in the year before. Before the construction of the fort, the site of the fort was an aboriginaI village named Sakam. Bricks were the main materiaI for the fort whiIe the mixture of the glutinous rice, sugar, sand and ground sea shells was used as the mortar, the same as those at Fort ZeeIandia. The sca]e of the Fort Provintia was reIative smaII and no parapets were provided. Inside the wall of the fort, there were a 36-foot high pavilion and two watch towers Iocated at both north and south part of the fort.
Fort Provintia, known as the Red-Haired tower, was built in 1653. It is another significant fort located on the shore across the Tai-Chiang Inland Sea from Fort Zeelandia built by the Dutch. Sakam, and aboriginal village, was the original name before the construction of the fort. Same as Fort Zeelandia, the material of the fort was bricks form Java with the mixture of glutinous rice, sugar, sand and ground seashells as the mortar. Compare to other forts, Fort Provintia was small and no parapets. There were a 36-foot high pavilion and two towers inside the wall of the fort. Fort Provintia was center of the colony where the Dutch East India Company installed the administration during the Dutch Occupied period.
Koxinga changed the name of the fort to Cheng-Tien Fu after he reigned the rule of Taiwan in 1661. The fort was used as a gunpowder magazine then. It was ravaged during the military campaign of Chu I-Kuei in 1720 and destroyed by several earthquakes in the following years. The Wen-Chang Ka (Temple of God of Literature) and Hai-Shen Miao (temple of Sea God) was built by the county magistrate in 1879. It is unique with the combination of traditional Taiwanese pavilions and the Dutch fort foundation in Taiwan. After 1945, the fort was named Chin-Kan Lou and became a exhibition center.
 
TOP TOP
   
* City Walls and City Gates
 
In traditional Chinese cities, city Walls and city gates represented both a territorial border and a psychological boundary for citizen. It is safe inside and chaotic outside with geomantical and cosmological meaning. The city walls and city gates were not constructed until 1723 even Tainan has developed since the Dutch days. There were seven gates and the wooden railings built in the beginning.
For the development of Tainan City, it was a milestone establishment. A complete idea of Tainan city has developed since then. In 1733, the throng Bamboo was planted out of the railing. In 1736, the Gates was rebuilt in stones and bricks. Defensive milky pencil rees were planted in 1759.
The eight gates were constructed in 1775 and the walls reinforced by another circle of railing. Also, more defensive trees were added. The structure of the city formed and developed after the completion of eight gates. City magistrate or asked to rebuild the city walls and city gates in 1788 and added gates at the northwestern and eastern part in 1835.
In traditional Chinese cities, city Walls and city gates represented both a territorial border and a psychological boundary for citizen. The city walls and city gates were demolished for new roads during the Japan days
  There are only Ta Tung Men (Grand East Gate). Ta Nab Men (Grand South Gate) and Tui Yueh Men preserved at their original places.
The city walls and city gates were demolished for new roads during the Japan days. There are only Ta Tung Men (Grand East Gate). Ta Nab Men (Grand South Gate) and Tui Yueh Men (Gate of Pleasance at West direction) preserved at their original places. In 1970, Hsaio His Men (Lesser West Gate) was replaced in the campus of National Cheng Kung University.
 
TOP TOP
   
* Confucian Temple and Wen-Chang Pavilion
 
In the history of Chinese, Confucianism plays a significant role. In major cities, there are Confucian temples with official worship. The Tainan Confucian Temple, Chuan Tai Shou Hsueh, is the most complete one in layout. The son of Koxinga, Chen Yung-Hua built the temple in 1665 and named it Hsien-Shih Sheng-Miao (Holy Temple of the great teacher) with a Kuo-Hsueh (National School) on the premises. In 1683, the dynasty of Ching, the temple was enlarged and reconstructed. Several renovations had been executed in three hundred years. Today in Taiwan, Confucian Temple is listed as the Grade historical landmark with the most traditional architectural heritage.
As for the structure of Confucian Temple, Pan-kung Fang is located to the east and Pan Chin to the south of the compound. There is the famous stone inscribed "all" officials, Soldiers, and Civilians off the House" standed in 1687 in front of the entrance of Tung Ta-Cheng Fong. Temple and school and located side by side facing the front yard of the compound the former on the right, the latter on the left. There is Li-Men (Gate of Rites) and Yi-Lu (the Path of Righteousness) in front of the temple. Ta-Cheng Men is the main entrance of the building. The shrines for officials, local worthies, and filial sons are beside the gate. The main hall I Ta-Cheng Tien (Hall of Great Achievement), followed by rooms for ritual implements and musical instruments. There is Chung-Sheng Tzu behind the main hall flanked by the library and Yi-Cheng Shu Yen.
Confucian Temple and Wen-Chang Pavilion
 The temple was enlarged and reconstructed. Several renovations had been executed in three hundred years
Confusian Temple is the best historical preservation in Tainan for its great structure and traditional heritage by now.
Confucian Temple is listed as the Grade historical landmark with the most traditional architectural heritage.
The temple preserved many valued artifacts
Confusian Temple is the best historical preservation in Tainan for its great structure and traditional heritage by now.
Yu-Lu (the emperor path) is a ramp at the central axis connected with the ground of Ta-Cheng Tien, Decorated with dragon and Chin Chi Shu Hua (lute, Chinese Chess, Book and painting), the Yu-Lu can be walk by the emperor and new candidates during the sacrifice to Confucius is held only. The one-wall stand eight lions surround the platform. Every lions has it gesture. Tsu's head is used as the gutter.
The spirit table of Confucian is in the central altar with twelve of his disciples at separate tables. The most famous wooden tablet hung along the roof is "Wan Shih Biao (greatest Teacher for all ages) written by Kang-His Emperor.
At Tung-Wu and Si-Wu, Ancient scholars are worshipped. The ancestors of Confucius are worshipped at the Tsung-Sheng Tzu. The temple preserved many valued stone tablets and artifacts also. Twice a year, sacrifices are held one on vernal equinox, the other on Sep.28. There are another county Confucian Temple the constructed in 1684 and demolished during Japanese days.
Ju Te Chih Men (Gate to Virtue) is the gate to the school. Main hall of the school is Min Lung Tang (Hall of Edification) with the scripts of literature Ta-Hsueh written on the wall. The three-story Wen-Chang ka is at the northeastern corner of the whole compound. The first floor is square in plan, the second round and the third octagonal. For Wen-Chang and Kuei-Hsing both worshipped there, it was called Kuei-Luo also. People with wish of passing examination worship both of them. Wen-Chang Pavilion as the northern pavilion was built in 1886 and functioned as exhibition hall for Proventia today.
 
TOP TOP
   
* Temples of Heavenly Holy Mother
 
In Taiwanese folk religion, Matsu, known as Tien-Shang Sheng-Mu, is one of the most important deities. Matsu was promoted as Tien Hou (Queen of Heaven) Tien-Fei (consort of Heaven) by the emperors for her miraculous power to help people in need.
There are many temples that worship Matsu as the main deity in Tainan. The statue of the goddess situated at the center and flanked by the two generals, Chien-Li-Yen and Shu-Feng-Erh. Matsu is worshipped among sailors; fishers and people must hazard their lives upon the waters because most of her miracles happened on the sea.
Ta Tien-Hou Kung was originally the residence of Ming Dynasty Prince Ning-Ching built in 1664. Shih Land asked permission from the emperor of Ching to worship Matsu officially in 1683 and ordered to convert the residence into a shrine for the goddess. The name of the shrine was changed to "Great Queen of Heaven Temple".
There are several renovations through various periods. The current structure was built in 1830 with traditional spatial organization. Dragon columns are great significance in the temple. The status and paintings are at masterpieces also. Prince Ning-Ching was worshipped at the rear hall in order to memorize his donating the building.
Matsu, known as Tien-Shang Sheng-Mu, is one of the most important deities.
Dragon columns are great significance in the temple. The status and paintings are at masterpieces also.
Matsu was promoted as Tien Hou (Queen of Heaven) Tien-Fei (consort of Heaven) by the emperors for her miraculous power to help people in need.
The current structure was built in 1830 with traditional spatial organization.
During Yung-Li Period of the Ming Dynasty (1647-1683), Kaif-chi Tien-Hou Kung was constructed. Kai-chi means that it is to earliest Matsu Temple in Taiwan. The dragon columns in the hall are artwork of the earlier Ching Dynasty.
In An-Ping, there is a temple of long history named Kai-Tai Tien-Hou Kung built in 1668 and relocated in 1962. After the fire of 1990, it was rebuilt with golden decorations and luxurious appearance. The temple worshipped Koxinga as a deity for his bring the status of Matsu to Taiwan.
In the early record, Lu-Erh-Men Tien-Hou Kung and Tu Cheng Sheng_Mu Miao were built. In 1970s' both of them were reconstructed in the layout the follows the traditional structure. However, Tu-cheng Sheng-Mu Miao was built in the northern palatial style while Lu-Erh-Men Tien -Hou Kungin traditional Min-Nan style.
 
TOP TOP
   
* Martial Temples
 
One of the best example of the personage deified is Kuan-Ti, the Kuan Emperor, called Kuan-Kung among folks and his character and exploits were well know in the fiction San-Kuan Ti is also a patron saint of commerce in addition to his guardian character. There are many temples that worship Kuan-Ti as main deity. Ssu-Tien Wu Miao and Kai-Chi Wu Miao are the most poplar in Tainan.
Built during 1647-1683, Ssu-Tien Wu Miao was also called Ta Kuan-Ti Miao. It has took several renovation and held official sacrificial rites twice a year since 1727. The roof moldings and eaves of the east facade are the most beautiful skyline in Taiwan's traditional architecture.
Two guardians Chou Chang and Kuan Pin inside the temple attend the statue of Kuan Ti. One of the most famous wooden tablets is Ta Thang Fu (foremost men) of 1794. Men-Sinjg on the door panels can only applied to temples where official rites are held.
Built during 1647-1683, Ssu-Tien Wu Miao was also called Ta Kuan-Ti Miao.
The roof moldings and eaves of the east facade are the most beautiful skyline in Taiwan's traditional architecture.
Two guardians Chou Chang and Kuan Pin inside the temple attend the statue of Kuan Ti.
The west of the main temple body is Kuan-Yi Ting, Hsi-Se and Diu-Ho Tang, His-Se was one of the five poetry societies in Tainan. Liu-HoTong is for traditional musical group. Ma-Shin-Yeh Ting worships Kuan-Ti's favorite horse and tamer.
Kai-Chi Wu Miao, The first temple in Taiwan to worship Kuan-Ti, was built during 1674-1683. It is a Grade III historical landmark with many valued wooden tablets.
 
TOP TOP
   
* City God Temples
 
Cheng-Huang Miao (City God Temple) was built in every administrative center in traditional Chinese society. Cheng-Huang, city god of justice, is the final judge of each soul of those who die within his parish. People worship the deity for good account. For believing the power of Cheng-Huang, every new local magistrate must worship him before inauguration.
Same as the administrative government, Cheng-Huang are different in levels. There are three important Cheng-Huang Miao of different hierarchy in Tainan. The layout of the temple is similar as official courthouse and the atmosphere is dismal for Chen-Huang commits criminal and jurisdictional affairs.
Cheng-Huang, city god of justice, is the final judge of each soul of those who die within his parish.
Ox-Head and Horse-Face are two guardians or types of guardians of the Underworld in Chinese mythology.
For believing the power of chief examiner, many student must worship him before take the exam.
In 1669, Tainan Fu Cheng-Huang Miao, listed as Grade II historical landmark, was built. The temple is the largest and most important in Tainan with many tablets inscribed phrases of good manners. The most famous is Erh Lai Liao(Here you come)
There are two generals, "harbingers of death ", among the Cheng-Huang's retinue. Hsieh, wearing white sackcloth for mourning, depict his tongue out Fan has a black face indicative of drowning. Many other punitive implements are also noticeable except the statue of deities to judge the sins and good deeds of the people.
In Tainan, Hsien Cheng-Huang Miao built in 1711 and A ping Cheng Cheng-Huang Miao built in 1807 are both famous. It is unique the portraits of Niu-Tou Ma-Men in Taiwan.
 
TOP TOP
   
* Pantheon of Universal Deities
 
Deities like heaven, earth, mountains, rivers and sea, are ubiquitous in Taiwanese folk religion. There are many famous temples that worship deities of this character in Tainan.
Tien-Kung Miao, also known as Tien-Tan, is listed as Grade III Historical landmark. Build in 1854; the temple worships Yu-Huang Ta-Ti (Great jade Emperor) who is accompanied by gods and goddesses from Chinese pantheon. Decorated with great and colorful ornaments, Tien-Kung Miao has been renovated for many times and still preserves valued sculptures and columns. People in Tainan always join the celebration of the birthday of the Jade Emperor on the ninth day of the first lunar calendar.
Chin-Fu Tzu is built in 1750 and listed as Grade III historical landmark. It worships Fu-Te Cheng-Shen, the Earth God, and preserves several valued tablets. Beside the earth god, Taiwanese worship Aquatic God also, Constructed in 1886 by Shen Chien-Sheu, Hai-Shen Miao, is case in this point and become a exhibition hall now.
Since 1742, San-Shan-Kuo Wnag Miao (Temple of Kingo of the three-Mountains Countr) had been undertaker several renovations. It is the only Cantonese style architecture in Taiwan and listed as Grade II historical landmark. It worships Mountain Chin, Ming and Du who are attended by Han-Wen Kung mainly. The temple was also called Chao-Shan Hui-Kuan for rooms ate the rear of the temple used t be the hostel for the immigrants form Chao Chou and Shan Tou of Cnaton. It is decorated with wonderful elements and door among folk's religion temples.
Deities like heaven, earth, mountains, rivers and sea, are ubiquitous in Taiwanese folk religion.
It worships Fu-Te Cheng-Shen, the Earth God, and preserves several valued tablets.
It is the only Cantonese style architecture in Taiwan and listed as Grade II historical landmark.
The status of Frng-shen, Lei-Kungh and Tien-Mu are unique and the religious dignified as a historical conservation district now.
Five Aquatic gods are worshipped in Shui-Hsien Kung (Temple of Aquatic Gods) listed as Grade III historical landmark.
Known as Yueh-Ti Miao, Tung-Yueh Tien is a Grade III historical landmark build in 1674. Tung-Yueh Ta-Ti, also called Jen-Sheng Ta-Ti is associated with the legend of the Five Sacred peaks that is in charge of people's wealth, Fortune, emolument and life. Many people worship him because he is also a King of hall in the underworld. The statues are scared in the temple.
Build in 1739, Feng-Shen Miao (Temple of Win God) is listed ad Grade III historical landmark and one of the most important temple in Taiwan during the Ching Dynasty. The status of Frng-shen, Lei-Kungh and Tien-Mu are unique and the religious dignified as a historical conservation district now.
Five Aquatic gods are worshipped in Shui-Hsien Kung (Temple of Aquatic Gods) listed as Grade III historical landmark. The temple is closed to the meeting point of sea and land in Tainan. After World War II, it was rebuilt and still preserved many historical stone sculptures and decorations.
Temple of Navigation Tsung-Kan Kung, was constructed during the Yung-Li period of the Ming Dynasty (1674-1683) and listed as Grade III historical landmark Ni Yi, who was a navigation superintendent before deification is worshipped in this temple. Folk artist Chen Shou-Yi painted the portraits of the door panels and mural painting inside the temple.
 
TOP TOP
   
* Temples of Supreme Emperor of the Dark Heavens
 
Known as Shang-ti Kung (Supreme Emperor) by people in Taiwan, Hsuan-Tien Shang-Ti (Supreme Emperor of the dark Heavens), is also named Chen-Wu Ta-Ti (Great Emperor of True Martial) and Pei-Chi Ta-Ti (Great Emperor of the north Pole). He is the deity of children, butchers and sailors. When Koxinga Arrived Tainan in 1661 morphology of the coast look like a snake and a tortoise and ordered temples to be built as Hsuan-Tien Shang Ti stepped on a snake and a tortoise.
Tainan's main temple for the Supreme emperor of the Dard Heavens is Pei-Chi Tien (Temple of the North Pole) build in 1665 and listed as Grade II historical landmark. The site of the temple is the highest point in Tainan called Chiu-Lin (Eagle Hill) and many reconstructions have been executed since its establishment.
Known as Shang-ti Kung by people in Taiwan, Hsuan-Tien Shang-Ti, is also named Chen-Wu Ta-Ti and Pei-Chi Ta-Ti (Great Emperor of the north Pole).
Tainan's main temple for the Supreme emperor of the Dard Heavens is Pei-Chi Tien build in 1665 and listed as Grade II historical landmark.
Famous folk artist Pan Li-Shui painted the dragons on the entrance door panels and mural painting on different walls.
It is historical about the wooden elements and statues in the temple. Famous folk artist Pan Li-Shui painted the dragons on the entrance door panels and mural painting on different walls. One of the oldest wooden tablets inscribed by King Ning-Ching of Ming Dynasty in Taiwan is preserved in the temple.
Built in 1671 and listed Grade III historical landmark, Kai-Chi Ling Yu Kung (Founding Temple of Spirituality and Protection) is another temple for the supreme Emperor of the Dark Heavens with great status and wooden tablets.
 
TOP TOP
   
* Medical God Temples
 
Commonly called Ta-Tao Kung (the Great Lord of Great Principle) by people, Pao-Sheng Ta-Ti (great Emperor who Preservers Life) is also known as Wu Chen-Jen (Truly Immortal Man Wu) He become the patron saint of medical doctor and other related professionals become he is a specialist in healing the sick. It is a necessity about the provision of medical oracles in a temple worshipping Ta-Tao Kun. Medical oracles are divided into general medicine, surgery, pediatrics and other sections for the needs of different symptoms.
The portraits of the door panels and lions and dragon columns at the entrance portico are delicate works.
Built in 1755, Miao-Shon Kung has a pair of bat columns instead of dragon in the entrance portico, a condition rarely seen in Taiwan.
Temple of prosperity and Salvage (Hsin-Chin Kung) was built during the Yung Di period of the Ming Dynasty (1647-1683) as a Grade III historical landmark with traditional model. The portraits of the door panels and lions and dragon columns at the entrance portico are delicate works. The tiger under the altar became a guardian spirit of Ta-Tao Kung after the deity saved his life.
Built in 1755, Miao-Shon Kung (Temple of Wonder and longevity) has a pair of bat columns instead of dragon in the entrance portico, a condition rarely seen in Taiwan.
 
TOP TOP
   
* Buddhist Monasteries
 
In the seventeenth century, Buddhism was introduced into Taiwan and many Buddhist monasteries were built in Tainan, Kai-Yuan,Fa-Hua, Chu-Si, Mi-Ton, Chong-Ching Szu was demolished completely. Chong-Ching Szu and Long-shan Szu were relocated and Chu Si and Mi-Tou were rebuilt. Kai-Yuan Szu and Fa-Hua Szu still retain their original look.
vEstablished in 1680 by Chang Ching for his mother, kai-Yuan Szu, listed as a Grade IIhistorical landmark, was a home name Pei-Yuan Pieh-Kuan Which was donated to be a Buddhist monastery in 1690 and called Hai-Hui Szu in which Sakyamini is worshipped as the main deity. It preserved original structure at the front hall and the main hall after several reconstructions. The status of Happy Buddha, Sakyamini and Four Great Heavenly Kingo are of religious and artist importance.
Originally the residence of Meng-Deh Yuan (Garden of Butterfly Dreaming), Fa-Hua Szu was built by lee Mao-Chun During the Dynasty of Ming. Fa-hua was built aside the house in 1684 to worship Sakyamini and destroyed during World War II. It was rebuilt after the war and preserved the great portraits of Four Great Heavenly Kings and mural paintings by folk artist Pan-Li-Shui. The paintings and the tombstone of Lee Mao-Chun are valued artifact.
The status of Happy Buddha, Sakyamini and Four Great Heavenly Kingo are of religious and artist importance.
Originally the residence of Meng-Deh Yuan (Garden of Butterfly Dreaming), Fa-Hua Szu was built by lee Mao-Chun During the Dynasty of Ming.
Chong-Ching Szu and Long-shan Szu were relocated and Chu Si and Mi-Tou were rebuilt. Kai-Yuan Szu and Fa-Hua Szu still retain their original look.
Ta Kuan-Yin Ting and Wan-Fu An also possess their Buddhist characteristics except orthodoxy Buddhist monasteries.
During the Yung-Li period of the Ming Dynasty, Chu-His Szu was built and reconstructed in Chinese style in 1973. Ta Kuan-Yin Ting and Wan-Fu An also possess their Buddhist characteristics except orthodoxy Buddhist monasteries. Founded in 1678, Ta Kuan-Yin Ting (Great Pavilion of Goddess of Mercy) was the largest temple in Taiwan that worships this particular goddess. Kuan-yin is the embodiment of loving kindness and source of help in time of need and is especially popular among women and the elder people. The temple, Grade III historical landmark, preserved many valued historical treasurers. Yeh-Hsia Lao-Jen (Marriage God) is always mentioned among many other deities in the temple.
Originally build during the Yung-Liperiod of the Ming Dynasty and reconstructed in 1806, Wan-Fu An (Covert of Endless Fortune) lost it's traditional look after a recent renovation. It is listed as a Grade III historical landmark.
 
TOP TOP
   
* Vegetarian Halls
 
Commonly known as Tsai Tang (the vegetarian Hall), Chai Tang is where the rituals of Home Buddhist are executed. There are three schools of Chai Chiao, namely, Lung-Hua , Chin-Chung, and Hsien-Tien. The structure of the hall is as modest as that of a house.
Four famous vegetarian halls in Tainan are Te-Hua Tang, His-Hua Tang, Tse-Hsien Tang and Pao-En Tang and are all listed as Grade III historical landmarks. Build in 1837, Te-Hua Tang belongs to Lung-Hua School. It was rebuilt after World War II and worshiped Kuan Yin (Goddess of Mercy) as the main deity with historical wooden tablets and valued portraits painted on the door panels.
His-Hua Tang was constructed in 1750. The deity of this Hall has changed from its original one to San-Pao Fo (Buddha of three treasures) because of the trends of Buddhism. People belonging to the hall can only access nei-Chia-Hsiang, the space behind the central altar. Famous. Folk artist Pan Li-Shui painted the portraits on the door panels.
Commonly known as Tsai Tang (the vegetarian Hall), Chai Tang is where the rituals of Home Buddhist are executed.
It was worshiped Kuan Yin (Goddess of Mercy) as the main deity with historical wooden tablets and valued portraits painted on the door panels.
A branch hall of Bao-En Tang is Tse-Hsien Tang, which is built in 1829 and reconstructed in 1928. It worships Kuan-Yin with a traditional structure.
Bao-En Tang is the mother Hall for Hsien-Tien School. Built in 1861, its original deity and rites have lost and worship Kuan-Yin now. A branch hall of Bao-En Tang is Tse-Hsien Tang, which is built in 1829 and reconstructed in 1928. It worships Kuan-Yin with a traditional structure.
 
TOP TOP
   
* Artillery Fortifications
 
A major factor to the prosperity of a city is defensive system. Since the Dutch period, many foreign invasions and local uprisings had led Tainan to build different defensive system. Euh-Kun-Sheu Pao-Tai , also called An-Ping Ta Pao-Tai is an example which was built by the imperial General of Inspection Shen Pao-Chen when he came to Tainan. He coordinated the coastal defensive network in 1874. In 1876, the French engineer designed and completed the fort which was encircled by the moat a wooden bridge was provided to connect the fort and the approaching road.
During the Japanese period, the bridge was demolished and a new one was built. There are four corners protrusive to form the bastions. Shen Pao-Chen inscribed "I-Thai Chin-Cheng" and "Wan-Diu Ti-Chu" personally above the completion of the fort. Inside the fort, there were grand cannons equipped duplication made in 1975 and listed as a Grade I historical landmark.
The French designed and completed the fort which was encircled by the moat a wooden bridge was provided to connect the fort and the approaching road.
During the Japanese period, the bridge was demolished and a new one was built. There are four corners protrusive to form the bastions.
Two of the seventeen forts build at the recommendation of Taiwan magistrate Ya0 Ying after the Opium War
Two of the seventeen forts build at the recommendation of Taiwan magistrate Ya0 Ying after the Opium War Between the Great Britain and the Ching Court is Grade II historical landmark Szu-Tsao Pao-Tai and Grade III An-Ping Hsiao Pao-Tai. Szu-Tsao was built for its strategic importance. An ping Hsiao Pao-Tai (Leaser Artillery fort at An-Ping) is granite-made and parapets were constructed along the fort. Established in 1836, Hsum-Fang Pao-Tai is the only inland fort preserved in Tainan and listed as a Grade III historical landmark.
 
TOP TOP